Sunday, January 26, 2014

Simply London... Simply AMAZING

Day 2
21 January, 2014

Day 2 was incredible and by far my favorite! But that’s not to say it didn’t have a rough start…

Jetlag had taken it’s toll on me and at 2 in the morning I found myself wide awake and unable to fall back asleep. After 2 and a half hours of ceaseless consciousness, I finally coaxed my mind back into slumber.

When I woke up, I realized that my roommate and I had ironically overslept. Nonetheless, we went downstairs to enjoy a wonderful English breakfast before heading out for the day’s events.

When arriving at the Holborn Tube Station, our group soon realized three things.

  •   It was rush hour.
  • We were a large group of 34 Americans.
  • These two things that, when put together in a busy London tube station, did not make for a good situation.

Somehow we made it through (though half our group ended up on the next train) and we were off to visit the Tate Modern Art Museum.

Even from afar I noticed this bridge and was delighted that I was being spared a separate trip to come see it.




Yes, I was extremely excited about being on that bridge and yes, I was half-expecting (or half-hoping) to be attacked by Death Eaters.


Tate Modern itself was amazing and was definitely a place to visit again *WHEN* I come back to London.

On the way back to the tube station, we got to stop and see St. Paul’s cathedral which was absolutely beautiful and was where Prince Charles and Princess Diana got married.




We then tubed to Tottenham Court Road (ahh!) which I, again, had a rather large attack of nerdiness over.



After enjoying lunch and some shopping, we caught a double decker bus to Trafalgar Square where our walking tour would begin.

My first double decker!

Trafalgar Square

Trafalgar Square


Downing Street!
Where the Prime Minister and other political figures live.

10 Downing Street, home of the Prime Minister.

The London Eye


Big Ben

Big Ben

Hello there, Abraham Lincoln! Rather far from home, aren't we?

Westminster Abbey
Marriage place of Prince William and Kate Middleton

The London Eye

Buckingham Palace

Wearing gray coats because it was cooold




Just when my feet felt like they were about to fall off, we arrived at our restaurant for dinner where I enjoyed my first authentic Italian pizza (delicious).



After dinner we headed off to see One Man, Two Guvnors, a hilarious British play in the legendary West London. Something (or Holly herself) tells me that our coordinators took us to a comedy purposefully so that we wouldn't fall asleep. Regardless, it was both a strike against jetlag and a truly amazing ending to our wonderful day.



I forgot to add in the last blog that I was travelling with Air New Zealand. New Zealand is apparently the location of Middle Earth from Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. Because of this, there were a rather large amount of references to the Hobbit by the airline. The best of which was a hilarious (Hobbit themed) safety video. Click here to be linked to the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment